At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre
The Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre (APARC) is an important community facility and is just one of the leisure and aquatic facilities that make up the Boroondara Leisure and Aquatic Facilities (BLAF) that is managed by YMCA Victoria in partnership with the City of Boroondara. The Boroondara Leisure and Aquatic Facilities provide the unique opportunity for staff to be exposed to a variety of facilities, programs and services within a vibrant workplace. YMCA Victoria is committed to providing the highest level of service to our visitors and career development for our staff teams.
Key Elements of the Role
At the Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre, we are looking for swimming teachers who share our passion for teaching swimming and water safety, to join our friendly and supportive team. We are looking for people who are ready to commit to the YMCA's core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and who work well in a team environment. Our desired team member will display a commitment to continued learning and professional development, be prepared to immediately respond to customers’ needs or concerns and create a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner.
- The delivery of safe, effective and professional swimming lessons
- Commitment to YMCA philosophy in relation to aquatic programs; educational and teaching standards
- Display interest, enthusiasm, patience, respect and innovation to students and peers.
- Implement lesson plans that promote group teaching methods, combining stroke development with water safety.
- Structures and designs lessons with appropriate activities that enhance student interaction and collaboration
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner
- Works as part of a team and shows professionalism and respect
- Punctual in both attendance on shift and attendance at staff meetings
- Is a role model who demonstrates and teaches positive values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility
- Sets an example for parents by interacting, communicating, guiding, and setting clear boundaries and expectations for children in healthy and respectful ways.
- Ensures a clean, neat presentation in correctly presented uniform
- Displays a commitment to continued learning and professional development
- Displays understanding and respect to those of different talents, abilities and faith
With our focus on outstanding customer service, we are looking for a friendly and bubbly person who is able to create and maintain a welcoming environment for our swimming lessons members.
You will need the following:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about Swimming and Water Safety Lessons.
- Able to create age/skill appropriate lesson plans.
- Knowledge of a second language is highly regarded.
- An understanding of cultural awareness.
- Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety
- Teacher of Infants and Preschool (desirable)
- HLTAID003 Apply First Aid or equivalent
- HLTAID001 Perform CPR or equivalent
- Working with Children Check (Employee)
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (Completion upon successful applications)
- Teacher Rescue Competency
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information.