At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Kew Recreation Centre
The Kew Recreation Centre (KRC) is an important community facility that delivers over 500,000 annual attendances and services over 3000 members and 1400 Swimming Lesson enrolments. Following a redevelopment in 2011, KRC won the prestigious Aquatic Recreation Centre Award for Best Health Club in 2013 and was also recognised as YMCA Victoria's Facility of the Year the same year.
Key Elements of the Role
The IQ Studio is an intelligence training space which houses Australia's largest Queenax system and the PRAMA Vertical 3.0 interactive wall.
This space allows us to develop innovative training programs based on high-intensity interval training, to help members train smarter and get results faster than ever before.
The Instructor is relied upon to motivate, educate and enhance each participant's experience. Through developing a rapport with participants, the IQ Studio Instructor fosters a commitment to their improved health and wellbeing.
The IQ Studio Instructor will conduct the following duties:
The IQ Studio Specific
- Conduct high energy and high intensity classes in the new IQ Studio
- Conduct safe, appropriate and stimulating group fitness classes within format guidelines
- To be professional, reliable, responsible and mature in dealing with participants before, during and after designated class time – make exemplary customer service a priority
- Be constructive to the overall development of The IQ Studio program
- Participate in special events eg. Master classes, in-house workshops, Open Day, as part of Centre promotion
- Respond to all in-house communication
- If you are unable to conduct a class arrange to have your shift covered
- Foster a sense of belonging to the team and Centre by your own involvement
- Maintain a clean, tidy and professional appearance and wear appropriate fitness apparel and footwear
- Comply with YMCA procedures for safety, training, purchasing, document control, internal quality audits, corrective and preventative action, customer complaints and control of non-conforming products
- Perform other duties as required
- Recognises and acts on the need for support and will accept and delegate responsibility when required.
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner
- Works as part of a team and shows professionalism
- Punctual in both attendance on shift and attendance at staff meetings
- Immediately responds to customers needs or concerns
- Flexible to work early mornings, evenings and weekends in an effort to share the workload
- Models, demonstrates, and teaches positive values like caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Maintain high standards of presentation and personal grooming
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Work as part of a team to provide the very best IQ Studio sessions in a friendly and professional atmosphere
- Develop and a healthy culture amongst patrons and promote other fitness and recreation activities within the Kew Recreation Centre
- Providing exceptional customer service/customer interaction skills at all times
- Be respectful of all genders, ages, ethnicities and cultures for all patrons and staff members
Knowledge and Experience
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to deal with a diverse range of customers in age, culture, fitness histories and other backgrounds
- Previous customer service skills are desirable
- Previous experience in group fitness instruction is desirable
- An ability to adapt a class to suit various abilities
- Certificate III in Fitness
- Group Fitness Certification
- Programming Certification (desirable)
- Boxing Certification (desirable)
- HLTFA301B Apply first aid or equivalent
- HLTCPR201A Perform CPR or equivalent
- Certificate IV in Fitness-Personal Trainer will be highly regarded
- Working with Children Check
- Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information