At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Coburg Leisure Centre
The YMCA has been engaged by Moreland City Council to work together to deliver the vision of an Active Moreland for the entire Moreland community.
The YMCA's work in partnership with Council extends to all corners of Moreland however is based at the six Aquatic and Leisure Facilities in Brunswick City Baths, Coburg Leisure Centre, Coburg Outdoor Pool, Fawkner Leisure Centre, Pascoe Vale Outdoor Pool and Oak Park Aquatic Centre.
The main goal within Moreland is to create more opportunities for more people to be more active, more often, especially those who are least likely to participate in healthy and active lifestyles.
Key Elements of the Role
The Health and Fitness Coordinator will ensure all Health and Fitness members are gaining maximum benefit and enjoyment from the services provided by the Coburg Leisure Centre in the area of Health and Fitness. A key function of the role will be offering the highest possible level of service and member experience to all participants in the centre. The Health and Fitness Coordinator will possess strong communications skills and a positive and accommodating manner. The Health and Fitness Coordinator will continue to strive for implementing innovative unique programs, systems and technology into our health club and be responsible for achieving department targets.
The successful applicant will be required to perform the following key deliverables:
Health Club Operations:
- Manage the Health and Fitness, Community Programs and Group Fitness teams in a professional manner following; the YMCA guidelines, industry guidelines, occupational health and safety regulations and best practise.
- Manage the Health and Fitness program ensuring growth and maximum profit by conducting regular reviews of our programs, sessions and classes, achieving high participation numbers and occupancy rates.
- Deliver new initiatives in the Health Club to improve member engagement and increase participation.
- Lead by example to ensure the H&W Team have a culture of punctuality to all shifts, take timely breaks and working with a “customer first approach"
- Ensure H&W staff provide the highest quality customer service to all members, responding to their needs, feedback or concerns to ensure quality of service
- Confidently accept customers bookings and best mentor staff and members to adopt GreeneDesk technologies (including FitDesk)
- Conduct planning sessions, check-ins and exercise demonstrations ensuring programs is specific to members capability and the member learns how to use the equipment with the correct technique.
- Ensure Health Club checklists are completed by all staff throughout their shift. Adapt checklists regulary to meet business needs.
- Develop strong member induction processes that will be rolled out by all Health and Fitness staff throughout the members initial 12 weeks of their membership.
- Complete all required reports in the timeframes required including weekly and monthly stats to state office (including council, fianancial and KPI reporting)
- Attend monthly meetings and contribute to the Active Moreland Health and Fitness Strategic Working Group, working collaboratively with other leadership staff
Health Club Presentation
- Maintain equipment and ensure any faults are attended to for immediate repair
- Educate members on gym etiquette and maintain culture amongst staff and members of proper gym etiquette
- Oversee a well-presented and clean workspace, specifically the consultation office and health club
- Ensuring that the Health Club equipment is kept clean and tidy at all times and a cleaning schedule is in place for the Health Club that aligns with the contracted cleaners requirements
- Make sure Health Club promotion of programs is up to date (relevant marketing collateral displayed
Programs/ Personal Training
- Ensure program growth whilst ensuring consistency across the health and Fitness program in Active Moreland (programs include but are not limited to personal training, small group training (Adrenaline), boot camps, corporate programs and youth programming)
- Coordinate programs from concept to delivery, including all aspects required to ensure a successful program is delivered.
- Coordinate engagement and mentoring of staff to ensure high quality programs are delivered to meet community and participant needs in a fun, safe and welcoming environment.
- Coordinate engagement and mentoring of staff in exercise prescription, sales and retention strategies to further improve the standard of Personal Trainers to ensure best practice systems at all times.
- Achieve budget and participation targets for personal training and fee for service programs.
- Lead by example to drive a strong Personal Training and Small Group Training culture.
- Coordinate program facility bookings for user groups, schools, casual hirers where required.
- Manage in a professional manner and to provide a fun and welcoming environment for our staff and patrons.
- Operate and manage relevant administration systems and liaise with Frontline Services to ensure quality service provision first time every time.
- Perform other duties as required
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrate the YMCA Core Values
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrate leadership and support for all staff and ability to provide constructive feedback
- Passionate and enthusiastic about wellness programming
- Ability to set and meet goals and deadlines
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated track record in managing and leading teams
- Demonstrated track record in implementation and continuous improvement of Health and Fitness programs.
- Experience in a variety of health and wellness programs
- Innovation of new programs and community engagement
- Demonstrated understanding of membership processes that achieves targets
- Strong administration and computer skills including Microsoft Office, GreeneDesk and Links point of sales system
- HLTFA301B Apply first aid or equivalent
- HLTCPR201A Perform CPR or equivalent
- Working with Children Check
- Certificate III and IV in Fitness
- Current registration with a fitness body
- ACF SCYP Certificate (completed after selection prior to employment)
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information