The Events Director will play a key role in the creation, management and execution of the Australia, Asia and Oceania based events held around the year. The role reports into the EVP/General Manager Tours and the WSL General Manager Australia and Oceania. This role is an integral member of the larger tour and events team. The role is based in the WSL Australian Headquarters in Coolangatta Queensland. This is a full time employment opportunity with travel required to event locations throughout Australia, Asia and Oceania.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Set, communicate and manage timelines and priorities on all regional events
- Ensure thorough planning of event budgets, managing cash flow expectations to ensure no surprises for Finance team an event runs to budget
- Plan staff scheduling
- Pre-Planning of contest requirements with Commissioner
- Provide event site outline to Marketing, Partnerships & Broadcast.
- Conduct and chair regular event meetings including all relevant parties. Take notes and circulate minutes.
- Manage allocated budgets effectively throughout the financial year, following dept. processes and procedures and do not exceed budgets.
- Employ contractors where needed (and budget allows) to work on events.
- Work with the Partnership Team to ensure sponsor obligations are met with respect to events and their invovlement, including but not limited to signage, event promotions, invitations, media etc.
- Ensure all logo placement related to the event is approved by the sponsor
- Maintain regular communication with the event teams and across other divisions in the company both at HQ and Regional Offices
- Relevant Territory Qualification
- Min 10+ years' prior major events experience
- Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints
- Results-driven employee who enjoys not only building the strategy, but also rolling his or her sleeves up to drive results.
- Strong project management skills
- Analytical, strategic and creative thinking
- Interpersonal Communication skills; excellent written and oral presentation
- Skilled at negotiation, consensus-building, budget-management and resource management
- Must bring forward new and interesting ways of looking at events experiential challenges, while inspiring the development of concepts and solutions.
- Collaboration and Team leadership- set strategy and pace and establish trust and confidence with vendors, colleagues (at HQ and International), athletes and sponsorship partners
- Problem solver: approaches challenges with a "can-do" attitude and identifies optimal options and opportunities by leveraging all resources
- Confident with Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote, Google Docs
The World Surf League (WSL) is dedicated to celebrating the world's best surfing on the world's best waves through a variety of best-in-class audience platforms. The WSL has been championing the world's best surfing since 1976, running global events across the Men's and Women's Championship Tours, the Big Wave Tour, Qualifying Series, Junior and Longboard Championships. Headquartered in Santa Monica, the WSL is a truly global sports and media company with regional offices in Australia, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, and Europe.