At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Carlton Baths Community Centre
The Carlton Baths Community Centre is an important community facility, managed by YMCA Victoria in partnership with the City of Melbourne.
Carlton Baths was officially opened on 11 February 1916, with its original purpose being a place for the community to bathe. Over the years the site has been redeveloped into a sporting and recreational facility. The centre has just reopened after a $15M redevelopment.
The centre is designed to provide the community with a range of recreational, social, cultural and educational experiences. Carlton Baths is located at 240 Rathdowne St, Carlton and includes the following facilities.
- One Court Stadium
- Health Club
- Group Fitness Room
- Cycle Studio
- Multi-Purpose Rooms
- 25 Metre Outdoor Heated Pool
- 10 Metre Outdoor Heated Toddler Pool
Key Elements of the Role
We are looking for teachers to join our team who are committed to the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Successful applicants will teach swimming lessons to a range of ages with a range of abilities (from beginners to advanced.) Instructors teach across a number of levels to ensure variety in classes.
YMCA swimming instructors are an essential component in the delivery of the YMCA Swimming Lessons Programs and Services. Our swim school is growing with more school groups coming through and more children wanting to learn to swim. We need fun-loving and knowledgeable staff to help deliver a safe and educational swim program to our members.
Become part of the community at Carlton with opportunities to work across other areas as well as other sites nearby.
- A love for teaching aquatics and having participants achieve results - however big or small.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and pitch in when required
- Teaching experience preferred, but not essential
- Must be available to work a weekend day. May get shifts on a weekday if they become available
- Working With Children
- Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant Aquatics (highly desired)
- Level 2 First Aid
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information.