Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria and has experienced substantial growth and success in its short history.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, an opportunity exists for a highly motivated Financial Controller to lead our results focused Finance team. The role will need to work collaboratively and effectively with various stakeholders, both internal and external.
The Financial Controller is responsible for managing the Finance and Information Communication & Technology (ICT) functions for all the companies in the Melbourne Storm group. The ability to provide overall management and strong, collaborative leadership across the breadth of the Finance team, including Business Analyst, Finance Managers, Accountant, Legal Counsel and outsourced IT, is crucial.
The Financial Controller is also responsible for administering the salary cap and ensuring the club properly accounts for, and complies with, the NRL Playing Contract and Remuneration Rules
Key accountabilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for the overall management of financial management functions, including accounting, taxation, audit, payroll, treasury and internal processes, in accordance with relevant laws.
- Responsibility for the timely completion of accurate and insightful financial reports for various stakeholders.
- Responsibility for the completion of the annual statutory financial statements for each company in the Melbourne Storm group in accordance with Australian Securites and Investments Commission (ASIC) requirements
- Managing the completion of the club’s annual budget and provide regular risk assessments and re-forecasts during each season
- Reviewing, analysing and discussing with department managers their actual results against budget and working with them to develop appropriate action plans to address any variations, or apply positive outcomes to other areas.
- Providing analysis for key strategic initiatives that improve the Club’s financial position, operational effectiveness and/or overall membership experience.
- Overseeing the strategic direction of ICT systems including the planning and implementation of new office technology.
- Managing the IT Service Provider to ensure an efficient, secure and compliant ICT operating environment, including software licensing.
- Overseeing numerous components across the NRL Salary Cap including compliance, accounting and reconciliation activity and analysis and continuous process improvement.
- Developing an in depth knowledge of NRL playing contracts and salary cap rules.
- Assisting with the provision of accurate and timely scenario planning reagrding salary cap to support internal stakeholder and committees.
- Driving the execution of strategic and operational accountabilities of the Finance team, including monitoring their day to day operations.
- Providing effective leadership, guidance and support to all direct reports through the delivery of effective coaching and quality conversations to grow and empower them.
- Delivering strong, clear and honest communication and role model cooperation and team work with other individuals and departments across the Club.
- Representing the Club, as required, in the upmost professional manner in all dealings.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a Bachelor degree in Commerce, Economics, Business or Accounting
- Be CA or CPA qualified
- Demonstrate a minimum of 10 years’ experience in public practice and/or commerce
- Show proven leadership, interpersonal and relationship management experience, with a desire to drive a high performing financial department.
- Experience in the sporting industry will be highly regarded.
In return the role will provide opportunity and benefits whilst working in one of the premium sporting clubs in Australia.
We are proud to employ people who share the Club’s vision for performance excellence, in whatever role they have been engaged to perform, both on and off the field. Our Club Values of Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family and Passion underpin all that we do, and how we do it. We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the “purple pride” within!
For the opportunity to demonstrate your drive, ambition and skills to thrive in our fast paced environment, please send your written application, including both covering letter and CV to Michelle Young via address email@example.com.
Further information can be found in the position description located on our website.
Applications close 5pm Monday 19 August
We regret that we are unable to accept recruitment agency applications
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply.
Please note that the successful candidate will need to meet NRL accreditation requirements, which includes a National Police Record clearance as well as have a valid Working with Children Check.