GM Competitions and Government manages and assists the Competitions Team to deliver all athletics competitions and events conducted by Athletics Victoria. These include winter season cross country, road races and relays and summer track and field Shield interclub, Nitro Schools, Championship events and other special competitions and events.
The role requires the successful candidate to have at least five years operational and management experience preferable in the sporting environment along with exceptional communication, organisation, attention to detail and interpersonal skills. Tertiary qualifications and/or knowledge of athletics would be considered beneficial although not essential.
Experience in volunteer management and servicing, project management, communications, sports management and events is essential.
The GM Competition and Government will be self-motivated, hard working, solution driven, show initiative and have previous experience leading and managing teams and working collaboratively with other departments.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Manager Sports Delivery and Sports Delivery Co-ordinator; and Development Leader
In meeting the position's objectives, this role will be required to undertake the following duties, plus any other relevant duties as directed by the CEO.
Development and Promotion
Drive, create, grow, administer, and develop Athletics Victoria’s competitions and events. Produce and implement strategies and processes that ensure Athletics Victoria’s competitions provide a satisfying and enjoyable participant and spectator experience. Produce and implement strategies that increase the number of participants and ensure that events are conducted profitably.
Deliver high quality competitions at regional and state level including managing all event planning and management.
Competition Entry Management
Implement strategies to ensure seamless entry process for end users and complete assessment of customer experience to ensure all data is available and used to produce high quality events.
Manage and lead the sports delivery team including conducting performance reviews, training, and develop strategies for new products in line with the strategic objectives of the business.
Relationships and Specific Employment conditions
- The GM Competitions is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will be required to build strong relationships within the organization to meet the overall business objectives.
- The position will be required to represent the business and develop strong relationships with members of the public, peak bodies, local organisations, relevant State and Commonwealth departments, contractors, volunteers, and venues
- After hours and weekend work will be required including attendance at significant athletics meets and events
- Travel throughout the State and Country may be necessary – travel costs will be reimbursed.
- Five years’ experience in event management and/or operations preferable in the sporting environment
- High professional and ethical standards.
- Strong and effective leadership skills and experience.
- Tertiary Qualifications.
- Not-for-profit organisational experience.
- Experience in sport management, and working with athletes, coaches and volunteer administrators and officials.
- An understanding of sport in Australia and internationally in terms of the industry, media and politics.
- Computer literate and experience in customer database management and preferably with on line portals.
- Proven capacity to work in a high pressure environment, including preparation of reports and project management schedules.
- Highly effective interpersonal, public presentation and meeting skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the capacity to provide constructive advice.
- Appreciation and understanding of the full life cycle of event roll-out and the importance of participant and spectator experience.
- Able to work event weekends. Please note, Athletics Victoria provides days in lieu to be taken in the week post the event.
- Current Driver’s License.
- Working with Children Check.
Athletics Victoria provides leading opportunities to Victorians by engaging the community with attractive membership programs, providing excellence of delivery in events and athlete development and thought leadership through accredited courses and seminars.
It is an exciting time for athletics in Victoria, with greater opportunities to capitalise on commercial avenues, enhance event experiences and become the premier recreational and competitive participation sport in Victoria.
Applications will close on 20 September at 12.00pm.
A shortlist of candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview by phone on Monday 23rd September and second round (one on one) interviews advised by Thurs 26th September.
One on one interviews will occur between 1 - 4 October 2019 and successful candidates will be asked to provide examples of events that you have project managed with relevant outcomes.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
REMINDER that this is a fixed term role from October 2019 to April 2021.