Cycling Australia (CA) is the peak body responsible for the sport of cycling in Australia as recognised by the International Cycling Union (UCI), the Australian Government (Australian Sports Commission and Australian Institute of Sport), the Australian Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games Australia and Paralympics Australia.
CA is responsible for the management and development of the sport from the national team at the elite level, including Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games, through to grass roots’ community level participation.
The organisation is structured across the areas of High Performance, Membership and Communications, Sport and Participation, and Corporate Services including finance, administration and information technology.
The role is a 6 month fixed term contract reporting directly into the Financial Controller, this broad role will develop over time and involves a mixture of financial and management accounting. It is a role that will offer you the ability to improve your technical and commercial skills.
Working closely with the Financial Controller, you will also be responsible for providing financial support to operational staff. This role will be well suited to a candidate working toward their CA/CPA qualification.
The position is based in the Cycling Australia office in Melbourne.
The Management Accountant will be required to complete key finance functions for the organisation including the following:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts including
- Variance analysis and commentary
- Preparation of month-end journals
- Reconciliation of balance sheet accounts including accruals and prepayments
- Fixed asset register maintenance
- Calculation of leave liabilities
- Preparation of profit and loss statements at various levels
- Preparation of yearly budgets (cash flow and profit & loss)
- Preparation of four-year forecasts (cash flow and profit & loss)
- Preparation of required statutory lodgements (BAS / IAS / FBT etc)
- Year end audit with external auditors
- Grant & funding acquittals
- Engage cost centre managers to give commercial guidance
- Assist in developing models (particularly for membership revenue)
- Management of Bookkeeping staff to ensure successful completion of:
- Accounting input / output records, including invoice transactions
- Creditor batch payments
- Bank and credit card reconciliations
- Debtor management and follow-up
- General assistance with tasks and projects for other Finance team members.
COMPETENCIES AND SELECTION CRITERIA
The successful candidate will be
- passionate about sport and attracted to joining a dedicated and fun team who enjoy a positive work environment where all staff are motivated to roll up their sleeves and get stuck-in; and
- someone who takes initiative to solve problems and/or provide solution options.
As the organisation continues to grow and expand, your role responsibilities will evolve enabling you to develop your skills further and build your CV. The role will also provide excellent exposure to key sporting and commercial people – therefore the network benefits are tangible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The person will:
- A level of financial experience in line with the above key responsibilities
- High attention to detail, as well as excellent organisational and time management skills
- Strong inter-personal skills and capacity to take on individual responsibilities while working as part of a team
- High level of operational IT skills;
- Xero accounting system knowledge would be an advantage as would knowledge of Xero coupled with a range of other accounting systems
- Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Experience with cost centre reporting would be preferred
- A relevant Bachelor's degree
- CA/CPA qualified or working towards completion
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is open to candidates seeking a 6 month fixed term, full time contract.