Woollahra Sailing Club is Australia’s premier and most successful dinghy club. Our active members include Olympic Champions, World Champions, World Youth Champions, and National Champions in many classes including Laser, Optimist, 420, and Moth.
Located on Rose Bay in Sydney Harbour we have a strong and popular club racing scene, with large fleets in Moth, Finn, Mirror, Tasar, Optimist, 420, Bic Techno and Raceboard. We offer schools’ team racing, coaching and training squads to all our supported classes, and a very popular Learn-to-Sail programme for children which is based on the Australian Sailing “Tackers” model.
We have seen massive growth in our learn to sail programmes over the last two years.
The popularity and success of our Learn-to-Sail and Junior programmes has created the opportunity for us to add to our existing staff with a full-time sailing school manager. This role will focus on the learn to sail programmes including Tackers, Holiday Camps and adult learn to sail. Performance coaching and racing will continue to be managed by current staff. The Sailing School Manager will work with the Junior and Sailing Programme Managers to ensure participants are transitioning through the Club’s pathways (juniors & youth) and become long term club members.
The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering our vision for Sailing School which is:
- To introduce as many children as possible to the art of sailing through our learn-to-sail programme AND convert as many as possible of these children into young boat-owners who actively participate in regattas.
- To create real sailors who have a life-long passion for the sport, regardless of their level of achievement at the Junior Level.
- To establish and then successfully run a system that takes talented children from absolute beginner to entry into our junior and youth training programmes.
- To encourage and assist our junior sailors make the transition into our supported Youth Classes.
We are looking for candidates who “get” what we are trying to achieve.
Do you have the following experience, skills and values?
- A proven passion for the sport and art of sailing
- Broad and successful participation in dinghy sailing
- Strong experience in sailing instruction
- The ability to communicate well with people of all ages
- Knowledge and experience of the Australian Sailing learn to sail programmes
- A fundamental appreciation of the need to perpetuate and grow our sport by bringing in the next generation
- Proven planning and organisational capability, initiative and “self-starting” attitude
- Reasonable computer skills
- A love of fitness, sporting activity and outdoor pursuits
- Proven ability to integrate into and work with a small existing team
Please read the Position Description for more details.