FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022
The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup is the world’s largest international women’s basketball competition and one of the most prestigious titles in the sport. This major event will feature the world’s best players representing 12 basketball powerhouse nations from across FIBA’s regions – Asia & Oceania, Americas, Africa and Europe.
The Federation International Basketball (FIBA) is the association of National Federations which governs the sport of basketball worldwide. Following a competitive bid, Basketball Australia and the NSW Government were awarded the rights to host the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 at Sydney Olympic Park from 22 September to 1 October 2022.
FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022 LOCAL ORGANSING COMMITTEE (LOC)
Basketball Australia partnered with NSW Government through its major events and tourism agency, Destination NSW and the Office of Sport to win the rights in March 2020 to host the Women’s Basketball World Cup as part of the NSW Government’s 10 World Cups in 10 years initiative. Basketball Australia established a Local Organising Committee, as a wholly owned subsidiary, to deliver this prestigious event. This World Cup will be one of the first major international events to be held in Australia in 2022 (22 September to 1 October 2022) and comes at an unprecedented time for our country. This global sporting event will contribute to Australia’s long-term recovery due to the economic and social benefits this event will deliver, along with continuing the powerful message of gender equality and focus on women’s sport.
We want this event to reimagine and reinvigorate Basketball, and specifically Women’s Basketball, in Australia and the Region. We want to create an atmosphere that is cool, edgy and funky with activations, communications and promotions in the lead up and during to the event that achieves our vision of igniting the passion for women’s basketball globally.
OUR VISION: To ignite the passion for Women’s basketball globally
OUR MISSION: To create a bold, engaging and inclusive World Cup celebrating the power and excitement of women’s basketball
POSITION: EVENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Under the guidance of the General Manager - Event Operations for the Local Organising Committee (LOC), you will support the planning, delivery and implementation of the competition including all event operations and logistics management of the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 in line with the overall Event Operations Strategy and LOC Strategic Plan.
As Event Operations Manager you will initially focus on supporting the GM Event Operations in working with FIBA, the competition venues, training venue, relevant stakeholders and LOC management to ensure that we deliver the best ever Women’s World Cup. You will be responsible for the management of competition conducted at both competition venues.
You are an experienced event operations professional with demonstrated experience in a sports and entertainment or events environment. Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders with exceptional well-developed interpersonal skills, a team player who works well in a small team. You will lead the team in managing the logistics for the event and the fit out of each of the competition venues to ensure that all equipment is procured and provided to ensure compliance with FIBA requirements. Your attention to detail and customer service skills are second to none to ensure the experience for the teams, coaches, officials and stakeholders is outstanding.
The Event Operations Manager will be expected to:
- Assist with the procurement and manage the implementation of event operations and logistics requirements for the event.
- Implementation of the Event Operations Plan including key milestones and project timelines linking to the MasterPlan in conjunction with the Event team
- Assist with the management of the delivery of all event services including transport, event security, emergency services and event medical and safety needs.
- Manage all operations and logistics with the two competition venues including procurement of all equipment and furniture and fittings.
- Management of the delivery and storage of all contracted goods including volunteer clothing, basketballs and other items required for the event.
- Manage the competition game days in conjunction with FIBA requirements
- Comply with all relevant Statutory and Regulatory requirements including compliance with all risk management, work health and safety and emergency management policies and procedures.
- Manage a small team of key staff who will assist in the delivery of the athlete and team experience for all team delegations including referees and technical officials.
- Ensure that the volunteers required for the delivery of the competition during the event are adequately trained and briefed on their roles and responsibilities during the event.
- Be a senior member of the Event Operations team with the ability to promote a positive working relationship between all functional areas of the Events Team.
In addition to demonstrating relevant experience across the core functional areas of responsibility identified in this Position Overview, candidates applying for the Event Operations Manager role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in sport management, sports administration or event management.
- Experience in delivering a basketball or sporting event over an extended period of days with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Previous experience within a major event or sporting event working with different stakeholders e.g. International Federation (FIBA), Government agencies, competition venues
- Previous experience in managing and delivering operational components across a range of functional areas.
- Knowledge of event planning and coordination, equipment, and practices typical to the sport industry
- Proven track record in developing and fostering relationships
- Exceptional attention to detail, time management, planning and scheduling skills
- High level of all round communication and presentation skills
- Display sound decision-making skills to solve problems and conflicts effectively whilst remaining calm under pressure
- Proficient with Microsoft Office with emphasis on Word and Excel
- Strong project management disciplines inclusive of the ability to prioritise at peak times, multi-task and meet strict deadlines
- Requires a high degree of sensitivity and diplomacy in managing the expectations and views of a diverse stakeholder group.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise and manage multiple tasks with strong attention to detail maintaining high standards of customer service and work within the LOC management.
- Strong collaborative/inclusive approach to problem solving.
- Thrive in environments of complexity and change
- Knowledge of the sport of basketball
- Experience as a volunteer at a sporting or entertainment event
- Experience in working with other functional areas.