Wenona offers a range of aquatic programs for students and the wider community, including a Learn to Swim (LTS) Program. The LTS Program teaches essential water safety and swimming technique to students of all ages. Being able to swim well is a skill for life and offers a pathway into a range of aquatic sports. Lessons take place in our purpose-built LTS pool.
Wenona values staff who demonstrate a positive and proactive approach to their work. We look for enthusiastic, dedicated, and capable staff who demonstrate initiative, good humour, and professional behaviour and support the values and aims of the School as a global learning community.
This position reports to the LTS Coordinator.
The purpose of the Learn to Swim Instructor is the day-to-day delivery of the Wenona LTS programs. LTS Instructors provide hands-on instruction to students in developing water safety skills and swimming technique according to Wenona LTS’s systemised approach. A high level of professionalism and exceptional customer service is expected. LTS Instructors provide their students with an encouraging, safe, and enjoyable learning environment.
This is a casual role with hours dependent on the needs of the program. A range of shifts may be offered including mornings and afternoons.
Indications that this role is being carried out successfully would include:
- Conduct individual and group swimming lessons according to the Wenona LTS program manuals and instruction guidelines at a consistently high standard.
- Tailor the learning experience to meet the individual needs of each student.
- Set up and pack up equipment required to deliver LTS lessons.
- Provide a safe and encouraging environment for LTS participants.
- Keep accurate records for attendance and skill acquisition when required.
- Attend staff training sessions.
- Maintain positive interactions with students, parents / guardians, and fellow staff.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education & Experience
- Current Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety or equivalent.
- Current CPR certification or willingness to obtain
- Current NSW Working with Children Check.
- Extension qualifications such as Babies and Toddlers, Competitive Swimming, Learners with a Disability are encouraged.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of swimming technique and water safety skills.
- High level customer service and communication skills.
- Good manner with LTS students of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Understanding of emergency procedures as they relate to an aquatic environment.
- An active interest in and commitment to the promotion of Girls’ sport in particular swimming and water safety.
- Personal drive and integrity with an ability & willingness to take responsibility.
- Receptiveness to providing and receiving constructive feedback and continuous learning.
- A team player with a willingness to put others before themselves.
- Clarity of thinking and ability to remain calm and perform under pressure.
- Lateral thinker with a problem-solving mindset.
- A sense of humour.
Applicants should submit a full curriculum vitae, cover letter stating your experience, copies of current qualifications, Working with Children Certificate and the contact details of three professional references.
Successful applicants will be invited to interview in line with the requirements of the LTS program.
Wenona School is a child safe environment. Our School actively promotes the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all School staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm, in accordance with their legal and ethical obligations including child safe standards. Wenona’s Code of Conduct is available on our website. The successful applicant for this position will be required to provide the school with a current Working with Children Check. (kids.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/New-Working-With-Children-Check/New-Working-with-Children-Check).
All employees at Wenona School must comply with current Public Health Orders pertaining to COVID-19 vaccinations. All must be double vaccinated for COVID-19 or able to meet the exemption criteria as determined by NSW Health.