Candidates are required to have:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety™ accreditation
- a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre
- Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
The course consists of approximately 8 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised industry training.
- Philosophy of infant and preschool aquatics
- Early childhood development
- Teacher, parent and child relationships
- Health, hygiene and water safety
- Water familiarisation
- Aquatic skill development
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
Assessment relates to both the Vocational Education Training requirements and AUSTSWIM requirements.
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be asessed using the 7 subject areas of the course.
Assessment is conducted during the face to face sessions, via online modules and during the industry training component via written or verbal responses, practical demonstrations and observations.
To get your AUSTSWIM accreditation, the following additional requirements need to be submitted;
- Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct.
- Complete a brief online course evaluation
- Show evidence of holding a current Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment. For further information on CPR requirements please follow the tlink: https://austswim.com.au/Training/AUSTSWIMCourses/CPRInformation.aspx
- Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
The Teacher of Infant & Preschool Aquatics course contains units of competency which are nationally recognised from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training package. Upon successful completion of all assessment requirements candidates will be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following unit:
- SISCAQU011 Promote development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment.
Enrolment Fee: $280
This fee covers:
- Course attendance
- Insurance while completing the supervised industry training
- AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence once the qualification is issued
- AUSTSWIM Teacher insurance
Please refer to our website for further information on AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance: http://austswim.com.au/Teachers/Insurance.aspx
Course Dates & Locations: https://oramsocb.austswim.com.au/coursefinder/